Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Lately I am a-political. As Mormons, we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I sadly, don't see really any of these qualities in many of our elected officials. And I certainly don't see so that is much virtuous or praiseworthy in my friends who are extremely politically active. As for me, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. First and foremost. All too often, I see well-intentioned Saints putting political ideology ahead of the doctrines of the Gospel. If the party you espouse has similarities to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it is because that party is imitating the Gospel, not because your party has a monopoly on the Gospel. Be careful you aren't confusing a necessary evil for the actual message of peace.

No comments:

About this blog