Friday, January 20, 2006

Rock Swings!

Fellow Gen-X’ers, I have seen the future. I was driving with a few folks I work with to a company party, and we were rocking out. Both the folks I was driving with were in their mid-fifties and had been raised on what we would call Oldies. Those cool classic songs of the 50’s and 60’s. So we were listening to these Oldies, yet they weren’t the original oldies, they were re-makes by the original artists. I guess it was cheaper to drag the Tokens and Freddie “Boom Boom” Cannon into the studio than to clear the rights to the original songs. As we were driving, they commented how much they were enjoying the re-makes. These new versions were a bit lighter than they used to be. Some of them even had a new bit of orchestration. There was a kind of nice, ‘schmaltzy’ feeling about them. That’s when it all came together for me. These nice folks I was driving with had entered into a new era of entertainment, that of the watered down music. This is no doubt the same phase that their parents entered into a generation ago with the Lawrence Welk television program. It is the same phenomenon.

So here is the future, in another 30 years as us Gen-X’ers are entering our 60’s and 70’s, we will be able turn on Carson Daily on the telly and his band of swinging crooners will entertain us with softer, kinder, gentler songs by the White Stripes, Greenday, Snoop Dog, and maybe some Nirvana. The sky is the limit.

If you want a glimpse into the future, check out either Pat Boone’s album In A Metal Mood and especially Paul Anka’s Rock Swing album. Both are great, with covers of alternative and metal classics done in a softer ‘easy to swallow’ style. Enjoy the future. I can’t wait to hear it.


Since the topic of musical covers has come up, I’ll remind myself here to devote a future blog to it.

No comments:

About this blog