Monday, October 02, 2006

Hey, it's October. This means a month of general confusion. You can sense it in the air.

Among the confusing items this month:

1. Halloween. To dress up or not to dress up?
Most likely not. Dressing up on Halloween is fine for little kids, married folks, dating folks or couples in general, but for a 34 year old dude to get costumed up? Creepy. And what would I be doing once I was all dressed up? Trick-or-treat? Don't count on it. Crash somebody's Halloween party? Not likely. Does this make me the an old bah-humbug? You bet. And this brings me to item number...

2. The Christmas Card. I am all lined up to have this year's card photo taken this Saturday. At scenic BYU. I'm not telling anymore because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I do think that this will be a classic. One that truly says 'desperate cry for help'. And I'm going big this year, with a planned distribution of about 50 or 60. If you want in on the mailing list, drop me a line.

3. Dating. After a fun but rather platonic evening/night with someone I am very drawn to, I am thinking about moving on. Not that I am looking for a lot of 'action', but when I move in, she moves away. Granted, I don't ever talk relationships with her, but her body language is speaking loudly. Or it could be I am just a doofus who wouldn't know his way out of a paper bag with both ends open.

4. My writing. I've had a research paper submitted to the Journal for the Study of the Old Testament for almost a year. They told me the approval/rejection time is about 6 months. And it will be 12 by the end of the month. So I'm thinking about bagging it and submitting it somewhere less prestigious, but local.
I've also got another deadline of January next year to have a draft of my novel finished and submitted. So this probably means a lot of long evenings at the compy. Belch.

5. My DVD. To fill a gap in the Star Wars fan-made DVD market, I'm putting together a comprehensive disc of trailers and TV spots for all 6 films. I officially started on the first with a test burn to familiarize myself with the hardware. So far so good. I hope to have it done by the end of the month. At least version 1.0.

6. General auto repair.

7. My website. I keep talking about putting back up my site about my favorite band but I never get around to doing it. Maybe this month. Of course, I'd need to buy the server space, get my domain name re-assigned, re-load the content. Ahh...

Well, we'll see if all goes well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of novel are you writing? Are you under deadline with a publisher, or is this a self-imposed deadline?

stacer from Linkup

Mark J. said...

It's a self-imposed deadline. It's supposed to be Da Vinci Code like in that it is an adventure with tricky puzzles to solve along the way.

About this blog